Tuesday, March 14, 2006

St.Teplet's Day

On Friday, apart from being St.Patrick's Day, it will be a year to the day that we sat and looked at a positive result on a pregnancy test! Now, we all have silly little anniversaries that are significant to us and this is one of them - a whole year since we discovered we were going to have a baby. I did a pregnancy test on the Thursday evening after work, acting on a 'hunch' that only came to me a few hours beforehand. Those tests tell you for sure, but somehow we still felt like we had got things wrong, so we purchased another test, a different brand which we used 48 hours later on Saturday evening. The result was "do you really need telling again?", so we hugged and smiled, yet still, for me at least, until I heard it from a doctor, I could not quite believe it.

A week later on a Monday morning, the GP faced us and said congratulations, if you've done two tests and they're both positive than, you're having a baby. What??? Don't take my word for it! Aren't you going to examine me? do another test? send it off to your laboratory? call me with absolute confirmation from the doctors in white coats? The GP shook his head and explained that all he had to do was send a letter to the hospital of my choice and they would be in touch with further appointments etc. Oh!

All we had to do now, he explained, was wait, and wait and erm, wait. Even though we had discovered this wonderful news for ourselves, we felt in disbelief and imagined that hearing it from a doctor would make it seem more real.

So, here we are a year on. Coby was once a blue strip on a pregnancy test, than, if you look to the left at the pictures, he was a potato on a grainy scan, than he was a baby-shaped image on a grainy scan that wouldn't keep still, than he appeared like a hazy dream into a room where I could have kissed every inch of wall for the euphoria I felt. Coby IS real, he is my beloved son and if I want to celebrate the anniverary of his very first sign to me, than I'll celebrate - just point me to the Guiness and I'll show the Irish how its done!

No comments: