Monday, September 22, 2008

Portugal - Part 1

Departure: Thursday 11 September 2008
Location: Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal

Believe it, or not, it was with great reluctance that we hauled ourselves out of bed at 3a.m and risked waking a sleeping toddler, to make it to Gatwick Airport for the 7.05 flight to Faro. Once Coby came round from a deep slumber, the first thing he said was "are we going to the airport now?". He stayed awake during the entire journey to Gatwick and thought the airport was amazing....

Coby enjoyed the take off and laughed as we flew down the run way. Mum, on the other hand, was ferociously sucking Extra Strong Mints to ease the anxiety building in her throat (I hate take off). Fortunately, Cobes slept for most of the flight, as did the rest of us and we landed in Faro around 9.20a.m to blue skies and 23 degrees heat!

A coach transferred us to our holiday village in Albufeira, about 40 minutes from the airport. The apartment was great - bright and spacious with a kitchen and lounge area, bedroom, bathroom and large balcony. Best of all though, was the air conditioning! Coby tested the beds as soon as we arrived, but we decided to savour the luxury of a nap until the evening, even though we were pretty wiped out. Instead we changed into our holiday best, grabbed the sun cream and headed down to the pool area...

As we started to relax and unwind, the tiredness crept up and eventually swept over us. We had a fairly early night that first night and it was a luxury to drift off to sleep knowing we didn't have to get up for work for the next 7 days!!

The next morning we headed to the beach. Coby, armed with his bucket and spade, was slightly wary of the sea and opted for a spot in the shade to dig, bury feet, build things and generally flick sand everywhere. We were happy to watch and listen to the waves crashing on the shore while the sun beat down from blue skies and the palm trees swayed in the cool breeze - bliss!

As the sun set over Albufeira, we enjoyed a stroll after dinner and soaked up the atmosphere. Coby caught on quickly to saying "Obrigada" (thank you) to the waiters in the restaurant and they soon took a shine to him, exchanging high fives and calling him by his name.

No comments: