Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Tarpal Cunnel Syndrome

I have been waking up in the mornings for a while now with pins and needles in my fingers. After a while it subsides and my hands are as good as new. However, the last couple of days, I have found the simplest of tasks difficult to carry out. I had a nap this morning and when I woke up, I could not move the fingers on my left hand!! Panic! They were completely closed up and felt tingly and spongy like they were half alive yet some how detatched from the rest of my body.

Apparently this is all perfectly normal and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (or Tarpal Cunnel as I lovingly refer to it) is a common complaint during pregnancy. I appreciate more than anything that I have a healthy body with fully functional limbs and the gift of all five senses. There are a great many people in this world who are not so lucky. I do not take my health for granted and I thank my stars every day that I am blessed with the body I have. I love the fact that I am sharing my body with Teplet at the moment. It's fine that he/she has given me humungous stretch marks and an itchy skin condition that, frankly, is driving me slowly insane. It's also fine that my pelvis is being stretched to accomodate Teplet's cute little head and that I have heartburn pretty much twenty four seven. I'm also learning to live with the insomnia now, because lets face it, things aren't going to get any better when Teplet arrives.

BUT! This Tarpal Cunnel doo dah is not good! The middle finger of my right hand (remember this because I'll be testing you later) has been completely numb for over two weeks now. It was odd at first, but I've accepted my new finger and moved on. The tingling sensation has spread to the tips of my other fingers now and as I type each of these moaning sessions on the keyboard, I could be typing onto razor blades and not know it (well at least until the blood started to trickle onto the desk).

Using cutlery, opening jars, typing and text messaging are now becoming difficult, but pretty much anything that involves using my hands has caused me to become ever so slightly upset. I'm lucky because this is only temporary and I keep telling myself this, but when the itching subsides and my hands return to normal and I can wear my beloved wedding and engagement rings again, I will be on cloud 9 - with Mr H and Teplet beside me.

No comments: